Housing Policy & Contract
The Department of Housing and Residential Life at Texas State University supports the academic mission of the university by providing on-campus housing. In support of the educational mission of the university and the value of the on-campus residential experience to students the department provides students with a safe, comfortable and convenient living environment, while offering opportunities for increased campus involvement, social interaction and academic assistance. For these reasons, the university requires that certain students live on campus.
The Housing Policy
New freshmen under the age of 20 (by September 1 for fall admission or January 1 for spring admission) with fewer than 30 credit hours are required to live in on-campus university housing. All students who graduated from high school within the preceding 12 months of the semester of their admission are also required to live on campus.
In Other Words
- New students who graduate high school in the year prior to enrolling must live on campus regardless of age and hours.
- New freshmen who will not be 20 by September 1 AND will have less than 30 credit hours will be required to live on campus. (If a student meets either the age or hour criteria, they are not required to live on campus unless required by the high school graduation date explained above.)
- Current residents are not required to live on campus for their second year at Texas State regardless of age and hours.
- We will reserve a number of spaces for both returning and transfer students.
- A student who signs a contract (either required or not required) is then bound to the contract for the full academic year even if the student turns 20 or surpasses 30 credit hours during the course of the contract term.
Contract Terms and Conditions
Future and current residents should pay close attention to the terms of their housing contract. When students submit a contract online, they agree to the terms presented in the documents below. It is important to review these terms for important information pertaining to resident responsibilities including our cancellation process, refund deadlines and assignment policy.